Fostering in Southampton
If you live in Southampton and are thinking of fostering, we would very much like to hear from you Find out about the children needing fostering in Southampton. Check out how we will support you.
The Southampton children who need fostering
In the Southampton area, the children needing fostering are predominantly:
- Sibling groups of younger children
- Children age 9+ who need short term placements
- Children age 9+ who need long term/ permanent placements
- Teenagers who need to remain with foster carers until they reach independence
- Children who have mild and moderate level learning difficulties
- Children who have more complex disabilities
- Parent and Child Placements ( Usually mother and child)
- Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking children and young people
How our Southampton foster carers are supported
Our Southampton based foster carers are supported by our locally based social workers.
Our Southampton foster carer training and support groups take place in Southampton or Wickham.
If you join our Southampton fostering service, we will ensure that you and your foster child succeed by :
- Consulting you fully in the process of deciding whether or not a particular child will be a good "match" with you and your household
- Working to obtain and share full information about each child needing a foster placement
- Ensuring that you receive comprehensive induction training and a careful induction before you start fostering
- Ensuring you receive high level support when you first start fostering, when you take a new child into placement and if/when some extra support is needed
- Taking great care about how we match the right children with each foster carer
- Facilitating your contact with other local Southampton foster carers via access locally based foster carer practice meetings and foster carer training
- Providing you with access to our telephone helpline - 24 hours per day- 7 days per week
- Arranging for you to have easy access to our in house clinical psychologist for advice about any special needs issues
- Providing you with regular high level fostering payments- which include a Skills Level payment - alongside the maintenance element- to recognise and value your contribution
- Providing extra funding to cover the additional costs of a child's access to play and leisure during the summer holidays
- Providing access to respite and back up care when this is needed
How we work with Southampton Social Services
Our accreditation as a Tier 1
provider of foster placements means that Southampton social workers contact us first when they need a foster placement.
Start your journey
Fill in the form below to request a call back with one of our friendly foster carer recruitment advisers or to be sent a fostering
information pack. You can also give us a call on (01993)
706925 or if you need more information, see our page on considering fostering.