The Portsmouth children who need fostering
In the Portsmouth area, we particularly need to recruit foster carers for
- Sibling groups of younger children
- Children age 9+ who need short term placements
- Children age 9+ who need long term/ permanent placements
- Teenagers who need to remain with foster carers until they reach independence
- Children who have mild and moderate level learning difficulties
- Children who have more complex disabilities
- Parent and Child Placements ( Usually mother and child)
- Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking children and young people
Our accreditation as a Tier 1 fostering service provider by Portsmouth City Council
We are Tier 1 providers of foster placements for Portsmouth City Council and the neighbouring local authorities of Hampshire, Southampton and other nearby Councils. This means that Portsmouth and neighbouring local authorities refer children to us first when they need a foster placement.
We are actively recruiting additional Portsmouth based foster carers to meet the ongoing need for foster placements for Portsmouth children.
How our Portsmouth foster carers are supported
Our Portsmouth based foster carers have access to regular local foster carer support groups. Our Portsmouth foster carer training takes place in Southampton, Portsmouth or Wickham.
As an agency, we place a huge amount of emphasis on ensuring our foster carers are well supported at all times. We ensure that this happens we providing each of foster carers with their own designated fp.c social worker.
If you join our Portsmouth fostering service, we will work to ensure that you and your foster child succeed by :
- Consulting you fully in the process of deciding whether or not a particular child will be a good "match" with you and your household
- Working to obtain and share full information about each child needing a foster placement
- Ensuring that you receive comprehensive induction training and a careful induction before you start fostering
- Ensuring you receive high level support when you first start fostering, when you take a new child into placement and if/when some extra support is needed
- Facilitating your contact with other local Portsmouth foster carers via access locally based foster carer practice meetings and foster carer training
- providing you with access to our telephone helpline - 24 hours per day- 7 days per week
- arranging for you to have easy access to our in house clinical psychologist for advice about any special needs issues
- Providing you with regular high level fostering payments- which include a Skills Level payment - alongside the maintenance element- to recognise and value your contribution
- Providing extra funding to cover the additional costs of a child's access to play and leisure during the summer holidays
- Providing access to respite and back up care when this is needed
Next Steps to becoming an fp.c foster carer in Portsmouth
If you live in Portsmouth and are thinking of fostering, we would very much like to hear from you. Our fostering service is designed to make it easy for people to get answers to all of their fostering questions prior to making any form of commitment to proceed further.